Solid Waste Department
1969 Central Avenue
Lake Station, IN 46405
(219) 850-1316 (Phone)
(219) 963-7418 (Fax)
8:30am - 4:30pm
Department Mission Statement: To provide our customers with exceptional waste collection, recycling, and disposal services that protect, preserve and improve our environment, but also the quality of life in our community.
USING YOUR GARBAGE/RECYCLE CAN
1. Place your bagged trash in your can. Trash left outside of the can will not be picked up.
2. On your regular trash pickup day, roll the cart to the curb by 7 A.M. Your new can has wheels and a handle for easy mobility.
3. The can must be placed with the arrow on the lid pointing toward the street. Please avoid placing the can under low-hanging tree branches or within 3 feet of obstructions. Avoid parking in front of your can on collection days.
4. After trash pickup, roll your can back to your residence.
*Holiday clean up week residents may place excess trash for collection during the week following an observed holiday at no additional charge.
ITEMS THAT CAN BE RECYCLED
• Magazines, catalogs, and “junk mail”
• Plastic milk jugs
• Plastic beverage bottles
• Plastic containers from yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.
• Plastic bottles from detergents, shampoo, etc.
• Aluminum cans
• Steel cans
• Paper bags
• Tin cans
All of these items should be placed in your blue recycling bin provided by the city and placed curbside on your normal recycling day by 7 a.m.
YARD WASTE CANS
Your first can for yard waste is free. Any additional cans are $1.00 per month.
Items to put in yard waste can include grass clippings, leaves, and sticks. The can will not be picked up if it has anything other than indicated items in it.
Basic Non-residential – $24.50 (includes 96gal waste/48gal recycle/96gal yard waste)
Basic Residential Rate – $18.50 (includes 96gal waste/48gal recycle/96gal yard waste)
Income credit – $13.50 (includes 64gal waste/48gal recycle/64gal yard waste)
Additional Containers – Garbage=$6.00 (Residential fee)
Yard waste= ( $1.00 monthly fee)
Residents with a single household income less than $14,355 or with a two-income household income below $19,245 may receive a reduced rate for trash collection.
Zone One Mondays – County line to 51 including 51
Zone Two Tuesdays – 51 to Grand Blvd including Grand Blvd
Zone Three Wednesdays – Grand Blvd to Clay including Clay
Zone Four Thursdays – Clay to Florida
Fridays – All can delivery and special pickups are done
Solid Waste Department cannot accept roofing shingles, tires, hazardous liquids/chemicals or oil-base paints.